All types of major and complex procedures are carried out regularly in 12 operation suites, equipped with modern operative instruments, and anaesthesia machines. It includes all types of abdominal surgery like Major organ resections, laparoscopic minimally invasive procedures like cholecystectomies, hernias, appendicectomies, resections, thoracic surgery, cancer surgery including head and neck surgery, breast surgery, anorectal procedures with the use of staples, lasers, and major trauma and emergency work.
The operation theatres are looked after by the dedicated and highly trained staff. The Department of Surgery is also recognised by the National Board for Studies in Surgery. More than 50 doctors have passed the postgraduate examination in surgery over the years and have established themselves in various parts of the world.
- Resections for benign (haemangioma. FNH, hepatic adenoma) and malignant liver lesions such as primary tumours (HCC, Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma) and cancers that spread to the liver from other organs particularly colon and rectum
- Surgery for hydatid cyst disease (conventional/laparoscopic/radical)
- Surgery (elective & emergency) for portal hypertension (devascularization & shunt)
- Resections for pancreatic cancer and neuroendocrine tumours (Whipples Pancreatoduodenectomy, distal pancreatectomy, etc.)
- Management of acute pancreatitis including drainage of abscess & pseudocyst and necrosectomy
- Surgery for chronic pancreatitis (pancreatic stones): Duct drainage, Frey’s procedure & resections
Gallbladder & Bile Ducts
- Surgery for complications of gallbladder surgery and bile duct stones
- Surgery for bile duct (choledochal) cyst
- Resection for bile duct and gallbladder cancer (radical cholecystectomy)
Upper GI Tract (Esophago-Gastric)
- Radical resection for cancer of esophagus/stomach
- Surgery for benign conditions such as perforations, refractory bleed, strictures & foreign body
- Surgery for hiatus hernia, GERD, corrosive esophagous, etc.
- Postoperative adhesions, strictures, intestinal fistulae, gangrene, tumours & perforations
Colon & Rectum
- Surgery for complicated diverticular disease and lower GI bleed
- Pouch surgery for ulcerative colitis
- Nerve/Sphincter saving surgery for rectal cancer (AR, LAR, ultra LAR), radical resection for colon cancer
Minimally Invasive Surgical Gastroenterology (Laparoscopy)
- Minimally invasive techniques are utilized during the performance of the above procedures as indicated. Staging laparoscopy for GI cancers, laparoscopic cholecystectomy & appendectomy are routinely performed
Our Department of Surgery has sophisticated laboratory facilities and state-of-the-art imaging services round the clock, recognized and dependable center for emergency and routine surgical work. It caters for patients not only from Pune and around but from all over the country and abroad also. All types of major and very complicated procedures are carried out regularly in our operation theatres equipped with modern operative instruments and anesthesia machines. It includes all types of abdominal surgery like major organ resections, laparoscopic minimally invasive procedures like cholecystectomies, hernias, appendicectomies, resections, thoracic surgery, cancer surgery including head and neck surgery, breast surgery, anorectal procedures with the use of staples, and major trauma and emergency work. The operation theatres are looked after 24/7 by dedicated and highly trained staff.