Medical Social Work
Medical Social Work
Mrs. Surekha Joshi
H.O.D. Medical Social Work Department & Transplant Coordinator
Mrs. Lochana Jadhav
Sr. Executive Medical Social Worker
Mrs. Sneha Yadav
Medical Social Worker (IPF)
Mr. Aba Thokale
Grief Counselor & Eye Bank Technician.
Mrs. Mansi Gole
Medical Social Work
Medical Social workers provide a unique and integral part of patient care by attending to social, environmental, financial, and emotional needs of the patients and families, across the continuum of care offered by the various programs and services at Ruby Hall Clinic.
Referrals for Medical Social Workers are received from doctors, nurses, other health care team members, patients, their relatives, community agencies, and other persons having a direct interest in the patient. At Ruby Hall Clinic, medical social work services are available to patients and families throughout all phases of patient’s treatment including preventive, diagnostic, and rehabilitation journey.
More About Medical Social Work
Focus Areas of Medical Social Worker
- Counselling for patients/family members to promote optimal emotional health and coping with the situation.
- Organise support group activities. This support is extended not just to the patients but also to family members, friends, and health care professionals. Support is offered through complementary therapies, counselling, information, and educational and supportive programs.
- Give information about and referral to community resources for assistance with financial concerns, transportation issues, and lodging during treatment.
- Provide assistance for patients who are in need of financial help. Give information about disease and referral to service organisations. Organise in-house training to other members of the healthcare team.
Functions of Medical Social Worker
- Organ Donation and Transplant: medical social workers are the key persons in the Organ Donation and Transplant program
- Registration of patients for Organ with ZTCC and counselling the patient and their relatives for a cadaveric organ transplant
- Fund Raising: tie-up with fundraising agencies
- Psychosocial counselling to all admitted patients who are in need and also live transplant patients and donors
- Assessment and securitisation of patients for IPF scheme
- Psychosocial Assessment: provide an assessment of the patient and family, as to the patient’s illness, physical/mental, needs, education, and other relevant information. The purpose of this assessment is to assist in the development of the patient’s treatment and discharge plans in concert with the physician, nursing staff and other health care team members involved with the patient.
- Psychosocial Interventions: Interventions to help and encourage a patient/family in adjusting to illness, disability and/or hospitalisation in order that the maximum potential for physical, psychological and social recovery can be attained.
- Grief and loss counselling and support groups are also offered.
Community Outreach Programs
Ruby Hall Clinic has steadfastly dedicated itself to building a healthier community. It is our continuing tradition to work toward improving access to health care for all people, to create awareness by educating people, to do screening camps and to develop collaborative relationships for the benefit of the entire community.
MSW can Further Assist With
- Communication between the patient’s family and the medical team
- Pre and post care planning/preparations
- Educating the patient and staff
- Involving in the patient follow-up
- Rehabilitation of the patient
- Conducting session and crisis intervention
- Conducting social researches
- Supervising the Student social worker/student counsellor
- Networking with other agencies
- Networking with government offices
Organising Activities for Patients & Relatives
- Get together of NICU, NTU, BMV patients
- Thalassemia support group meeting and annual picnics
- Donor’s day celebration for the families of organ donors
- Children’s day and Christmas day celebration
- Eye bank workshop and felicitation program for donors
- We fulfil the wish of pediatric patients with the help of Make A Wish
- Foundation Educational program for End-stage organ failure patients
- CME for doctors, nurses and Tx coordinators
- Organising various public symposiums during religious festivals